Alzheimer’s & Dementia Services of Memphis, Inc. provides monthly caregiver support groups at the centers. Call 901-372-4585 for specific dates and times. Care for family members is provided free of charge during the meeting. You family member need NOT be enrolled in daily services to be cared for while you attend the support group.
Spousal Support: second Tuesday of each month, 3:00 – 4:00 pm
General Support Group: third Tuesday of each month, 4:30-5:30 pm
General Support Group: fourth Wednesday of each month, 4:30 pm -5:30 pm
Spousal Support: first Wednesday of each month, 9:30 – 10:30 am
General Support Group: third Thursday of each month, 4:30-5:30 pm
Coping with Caring: second Thursday of each month, 4:30 – 5:30 pm
Education Topics such as Nutrition, Safety, Coping with Relatives, Veterans, Physical Therapy and Transferring,
Caring for Caregiver, Hospice/end of life, Legal/Financial, Communication, Dementia Updates, Holidays
Off-Site Support Groups
- Yad L’Yad, 3rd Tuesday 7:00pm-8:00pm, Jewish Family Services, 6560 Poplar Memphis, TN 38138
- Heritage at Irene, 4th Thursday 11:00am-1:00pm, Heritage at Irene, 4580 Forest Hill Irene, Memphis, TN 38125 or call for reservation at 901-737-4735.
Why Join A Support Group?
Because it can help you:
- Realize you are not alone
- Prevent isolation
- Network and share ideas, learn news about the latest advances in treatment of the disease, and find doctors who specialize in the field, etc.
- Gain a better perspective and have realistic expectations
- Set goals
- Reinforce efforts for positive action
- Improve communication skills
- Cope with and grieve losses
- Counter depression
- Make new friends
- Accept the need for help and support, both physical or emotional
An educational caregiver monthly newsletter called “CareLines” provides important information about care giving topics such as sleep, incontinence, travel, etc. Additional information about happenings during the month at the centers, openings and closings, support group dates, upcoming field trips, etc. are included.
Caregiver Education & Information
Brief caregiver support and education are available on a daily basis. Individual and family conferences can be scheduled. Information is available about the following items (just to name a few):
- “Safe Return” Program of the Alzheimer’s Association
- Obtaining a handicap placard for your car
- Internet sites of interest to caregivers
- Caregiver resource materials
- Termination of driving privileges in Tennessee
- “911″ hazard calls
- “Wandering” tips
- Respite care sources
- Residential Placement Counseling
An Educational Opportunities brochure will give you a quick look at the type of presentations and educational workshops we typically offer. ADS can also tailor a presentation or workshop to your needs.
A caregivers’ representative is a member of the board of directors to bring concerns and ideas to the governing board. A periodic survey is conducted to evaluate current services and to get ideas from families for services Alzheimer’s Day Services, Inc. might be able to offer to fit family’s needs, and busy work schedules.
Deb/ Caregiver, Daughter, Mother, Grandmother
FREE Caregiver Conference November 12, 2019
ADS Memphis will have a free caregiver conference on November 12, 2019. The location is currently to be determined. For any questions, please contact Adina Samberg, conference Coordinator, at (901) 372-4585 or email her at email@example.com.
Dementia Sensitivity Experience
Understanding what a person living with dementia goes through is often difficult. The Dementia Sensitivity Experience offers caregivers and family members a glimpse at the daily difficulties dementia can bring by simulating what it might be like to have dementia for five minutes.
Next one at Dorothy’s Place will be June 19, 2019. Call 901-372-4585 to register.
Caregiver Respite Outreach Program CROP
ADS has partnered with faith based organizations to take an activity program into the neighborhoods where caregivers are taking care of a loved one. if you are interested in learning more about the CROP program, contact J. J. Doughtie, Assistant Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 901-372-4585.